Cross border healthcare

Living in England and registered with an NHS Wales GP Practice – what does this mean when you are referred for onward NHS treatment?

Until recently, patients living on the border received their healthcare from the NHS in the  country where their GP practice was registered.

So, patients living in England but registered with a Welsh GP practice received their care from the Welsh NHS, and vice versa.

Recent changes to the healthcare system in England mean that if you live in England and are registered with a GP practice that is either in Wales or is registered with the NHS in Wales, then the way you are referred to a consultant will be different to how you have been referred in the past.

If you live in Wales you will not experience any change.

For more information or if you are a health professional please see the documents below:

Cross Border Network meeting

Summary report

12 September 2016 FINAL

Cross Border Healthcare Patient Leaflet

Cross Border Stakeholder Briefing Note

09.5.16 Cross Border Network Meeting Notes